Sudden weird vibrations

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Subaru Forester, 110 K miles. Something strange happened to the front end. Several months ago I needed control arms. Fixed, no problem. Then my axles started making noise on turns. They were shot. My mechanic installed a pair of after market axles. Immediately I had noticeable vibration accelerating in the low 20mph, peak at about 23mph. So my mechanic then installed another set of after market axles and the exact same vibration was still there. The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel.

So how could changing axles immediately precipitate vibrations that weren't there beforehand and in which two sets of replacement axles produced the same result? Help! Any thoughts!

Did anyone check the wheel bearings? Did anyone check the axle to wheel bearing torque? Did anyone check the wheel stud torque? Did anyone check the wheel balance?
Did anyone check the wheel or brake rotor run out? Did anyone check for differential damage, oil level or oil contamination?
Are all the wheels measured with the same circumference?

I know there are several reasons why a car can vibrate but with my circumstances, i.e., immediate beginning of vibration with installation of new axles, and an exact repeat with installation of a 2nd pair of new axles, I think we can toss oil issues and tire circumference, and probably the wheel bearings.

I think, measure and prove my work. This data is a driveshaft that is out of balance.

Attachments

• Drive shaft error.jpg
    Drive shaft error.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have a 2015 Subaru Forester, 110 K miles. Something strange happened to the front end. Several months ago I needed control arms. Fixed, no problem. Then my axles started making noise on turns. They were shot. My mechanic installed a pair of after market axles. Immediately I had noticeable vibration accelerating in the low 20mph, peak at about 23mph. So my mechanic then installed another set of after market axles and the exact same vibration was still there. The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel.

So how could changing axles immediately precipitate vibrations that weren't there beforehand and in which two sets of replacement axles produced the same result? Help!

So how could changing axles immediately precipitate vibrations that weren't there beforehand and in which two sets of replacement axles produced the same result? Help! Any thoughts!
I had a similar prob with 2018 forester - 77000 miles. I needed lower control arm bushings. Left and right bushings replaced. Car runs great now.Long story short, as a dealer they have access to just the bushings and don't have to buy entire control arm. Or so dealer said. They also said my case typical with Foresters in this mileage range.

Turns out that new tires and a set of bearings fixed this. Not my expected reasons for this but no complaints, vibration is gone.

I think, measure and prove my work. This data is a driveshaft that is out of balance.
I have a question about drive shaft noises, as I am trying to locate the source of a whirrling/humming noise under my wife's '16 Forester that started after a clutch replacement. Your reply to another thread got me thinking. Any possible correlation?

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question