Subaru Forester issues 2020 and newer

Reaction score
Bought a 2020 forester new for my wife, figured I would join to share some information from my latest dealer trip for warranty work stated by the tech.

The rear bearings will go out before 60k on most. Mine went out at 41k, both sides. Caused tire wear and rear brake wear. The had to replace the knuckle on one side under warranty because the factory over tightened a few bolts and they had to cut it out.

Expect this to happen sooner than later. Told to keep a eye out for any rear end noise like bearings and uneven tire wear. Remedy asap since they will not cover rear rotors or pads under this warranty job. Southern climate vehicle, not in the snow at all.

I did a search for rear wheel bearings and your post came up. My wife's '19 Forester has a whirring noise coming from the rear that sounds like bad wheel bearings and it has 45K on it. Based on what I'm reading in your post, it sounds like they DID cover the wheel bearings and labor?? She just bought out the lease on it but added the Subaru extended warranty. It lists wheel bearings under FRONT suspension but can't find anything on the rear.

I did a search for rear wheel bearings and your post came up. My wife's '19 Forester has a whirring noise coming from the rear that sounds like bad wheel bearings and it has 45K on it. Based on what I'm reading in your post, it sounds like they DID cover the wheel bearings and labor?? She just bought out the lease on it but added the Subaru extended warranty. It lists wheel bearings under FRONT suspension but can't find anything on the rear.
My friends 21 forester had a rear bearing go already, less than 30k miles. The sound you describe is exactly what our 16 sounded like when a rear bearing went last spring.

This post is sounding more like "poor factory assembly" - over torque and or a lack of lubrication.
Another possibility is bearing failure because of abuse. That term means, water, sand, overloading, improper torque procedures or road damage.
With the correct assembly procedures and proper torque, the axle bearing(s) should last many years.
Torque also includes the wheel assemblies mounted onto the bearing flanges.

It would be a shame to disassemble / re-torque the axle assemblies to have it last longer than the noted time and miles.
Consider asking the dealer if there are model years or date builds that have that issue or a technical bulletin the addresses a "possible" safety hazard.

Ask a Question