Subaru Ascent MPG

SRG

Reaction score
I am getting very poor mileage and the dash doesn't even calculate the MPG accurately. I fill up full tank every time and reset the trip odometer and calculate the MPG on a calculator. The highest MPG my Ascent every registered is 16.2, and that is combined. That is more than 25% lower than the advertised MPG on the sticker. The car has over 1000 miles, no improvement.
Any other Ascent drivers checking MPG? Feedback?

No such issue for me, I have over 12K miles on mine, and get 22 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.

I am getting very poor mileage and the dash doesn't even calculate the MPG accurately. I fill up full tank every time and reset the trip odometer and calculate the MPG on a calculator. The highest MPG my Ascent every registered is 16.2, and that is combined. That is more than 25% lower than the advertised MPG on the sticker. The car has over 1000 miles, no improvement.
I'm also getting very low mileage, around 17 MPG overall. If I'm on the highway for extended trips, I manage about 22. I'm not a lead foot, but most of my driving is in Los Angeles traffic, so that's probably responsible. It is disappointing that I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised mileage.

I have a ford f150 ecoboost 2011 with 238000, its a v6 with twin turbos. I am too supposed to be getting 21, but only get 18 if im lucky. I think it might have something to do with the turbo. I have search extensively on ford forums for the past two years changed plugs wires, different gas , different styles of driving. different tires, do regular maintenance, all to no for no increases. Ford has never really addressed the issues and ignores it. Enough about me how you guys like the accent? I need a vehicle which is bigger for my family, gets better mpg, and can still haul a 5500 pound boat. Will Accent work for me?

I have a ford f150 ecoboost 2011 with 238000, its a v6 with twin turbos. I am too supposed to be getting 21, but only get 18 if im lucky. I think it might have something to do with the turbo. I have search extensively on ford forums for the past two years changed plugs wires, different gas , different styles of driving. different tires, do regular maintenance, all to no for no increases. Ford has never really addressed the issues and ignores it. Enough about me how you guys like the accent? I need a vehicle which is bigger for my family, gets better mpg, and can still haul a 5500 pound boat. Will Accent work for me?
Is the 5500# boat include the trailer and all the "stuff" inside the boat? The Ascent tow rating is 5000#. You also have to calculate the combined tow rating which includes BOTH vehicle weights, passengers, and all cargo (including fluids). It would probably pull the boat fine but it puts stress on the drivetrain. You also have to look at your liability. If you get in an accident and you're over the tow limit, you could be liable. I had an F150 with the 5.7 V8 with a tow capacity of 8500#. My camper had a GVWR of 8500#. The tail was wagging the dog when I towed it and I wasn't at max GVWR. I found a great used F350 with the 6.2 V8 and it pulled like a champ. It's better to have extra towing capacity rather than towing at the limit (or over). If it was for one or two trips such as taking it to the dock in spring and home for the winter, I wouldn't be as concerned. But if you're towing the boat regularly, I would look at a different vehicle or keep what you have. Things to consider are:
1. How many miles do you drive a year
2. How many mpg would you increase by getting a new vehicle
3. How much more would a new vehicle cost after trade or selling it
4. Would your insurance go up

Now you need to try to calculate how much you would save in gas with a newer vehicle. Add the added cost of the vehicle then try to calculate how long it would take to "break even" before you would start saving money. Unless the truck you have now has mechanical issues, most likely you'd be better of financially and safetywise to keep what you have (however I do see it's got 238K miles on it so a new vehicle may be a good choice). Also, the newer engines can tow more and in some case, have better mileage ratings. Another thing to consider is what if you want to upgrade your boat to a bigger or heavier one or switch gears and go to a camper? If you're maxed out now, you would have to upgrade both the truck AND the boat or limit the camper to what your vehicle will tow (and don't listen to the salespeople. They just want to sell you whatever they're selling). When someone buys a full size pickup, they usually aren't as concerned about gas mileage as they are about functionality (providing you're using it as a "tool" vs a pleasure vehicle). My F350 gets 17 mpg hwy, 12-13 mpg combined mileage, and about 8.5 mpg towing whether it was my camper, cargo, or landscape trailers. The tow mileage was one of the big reasons we decided to become seasonal campers vs towing. Plus, when you're a "weekend camper," you lose about 2-3 hrs setting up, tearing down, and pumping out the black tank, and you typically can't check in until 2-3PM and have to checkout by noon which loses at least a half day of enjoyment unless you want to pay extra for late checkout.

Last edited:
17-18 in city 22-24 hiway. My tranny has very distinct shuddle. Feels like going over rumble strips. Got notice in mail about 2020 Ascent tranny. Anyone have same experience?

Ask a Question