Need help with Camper Trailer advice

Reaction score
Hello - I have an 2019 Outback 2.5L. We are considering doing a road trip and renting a camper trailer to hitch. I am a novice when it comes to hitching and specs, and I'm confused what the limitations are for an Outback.

The official specs says towing limit is 2700 Lbs. I'm trying to understand what sorts of trailers I can hitch that meets the specs. I found this blog post, that lists multiple options, but when I look at the weights on various sites, I'm seeing they're mostly 3,000+ and that's dry. I'm also unfamiliar with the how to choose a hitch that means the tongue weight.
https://www.rvt.com/blog/news/what-can-i-tow-with-my-subaru-outback/

Ideally we'd like a small camper that does have a toilet and basic kitchen. Does anyone have any advice? We're looking at using RV Share - we're in Arizona and there's a lot of options for us. Thank you.

I basically have the same question, though I'm driving a 2005 with a 3,000 lb tow limit. I'm looking at pop-ups though, some of which are like 1,700 lbs dry.

What’s the confusion?
If you have a towing capacity of 2,700 lbs.
Don’t exceed 2,700 lbs.

Ask a Question