Low oil light after oil change

Reaction score
Recently got a used 2015 forester that I'm loving and did an oil change on it right away to start out fresh. The oil change went smooth and we changed the filter, there were no leaks, no problems and only 0.4 of a quart shy of it being 100% full. The car is running smooth. However now the low oil light is coming on and I can't figure out how why. Did attempt to reset the electronics for the oil and the filter but had some trouble setting the notification date on them and I'm wondering if it's because I set the notification date to the date I did the oil change instead of changing the remaining miles, but I don't know how to fix that.

Advice would be appreciated! If I can avoid taking it in for a service I would really like to.

You don't say if you checked the oil level on the dip stick post oil light coming on. That would be the first place I would check. I do not know about your vehicle specifically, but I do know that if you put in the date you changed the oil in the computer many systems will then tell you that you are over due for an oil change as the computer wants you to put in the date for the next oil change (6 months or whenever your mileage may reach it's presumed change interval).

Ask a Question