2015 Forester very low mileage how often oil change?

Reaction score
I have just over 11,000 miles on my 2015 Forester. I use synthetic oil. Last oil change was 14 months ago. I have driven 1100 miles since then. Most miles are 5-10 miles with an occasional 150 mile trip (twice yearly). How often should I get oil and filter changed?

I have just over 11,000 miles on my 2015 Forester. I use synthetic oil. Last oil change was 14 months ago. I have driven 1100 miles since then. Most miles are 5-10 miles with an occasional 150 mile trip (twice yearly). How often should I get oil and filter changed?
Everything I read says once per year.

That seems excessive for 1000 miles, but I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure on a such an outlier of use.

Jacqemcn, I would personally test your oil by a 3rd party if you want to really know if you should change it or not. Bobtheoilguy is a good resource for the testing. With the little amount of mileage and no leaks present on the car, I would do a complete oil change 1 per year as condensation can build up sitting for lengthy times causing water to enter your system unintentionally and synthetic will absorb that water and break down quickly if enough is present. Being an AMSOIL dealer I have seen this happen to all types of oil. Just my two cents for what it worth. Good luck and let us know what you choose to do.

Ask a Question