Is this a normal amount of rust?

Reaction score
subrust.jpeg
Looking at buying a 2015 impreza for about 10g at 115k. Would this need work at some point and how expensive? Interior is great, exterior is pretty good and I really like the drive. I do live in the northeast rustbelt so salt and snow is life here.
I heard from the shop that did the inspection that the frame and brakes were in good shape. As someone who doesn't know cars this picture with the rust concerned me. What part is this, how much would it cost to fix, and how much life does it have left? I don't currently have the car, otherwise would take more pictures, looking at going back in a couple days to buy it.

Last edited:
I live in the northeast as well. I have a 2007 Impreza that looks the same and it has over 200k and didn't replace any of that. Did replace the rear tie rod arms though

Also in Northeast. Looks about typical. So long as nothing is rusted through should be OK. Undercarriage metallurgy of Subes is beyond disappointing to me.

Ask a Question