Intermittent overheating - ideas please

Reaction score
A plea for help! Impreza 2006 non-turbo

I have an intermittent overheating problem which only happens every 2 or 3 weeks. It can happen when travelling on a freeway or standing in the traffic. The temp very quickly rises to 110C and may then go up and down. When I squeeze the upper hose it feels like there's no pressure.

I had the exact same problem 2 1/2 years ago. At the time they replaced the following: 3 X thermostats, 2 x fan relays, radiator, temp sensor, and water pump. My garage said they couldn't find the problem and told me to take it to an autoelectrician. At the end of a full day's work (charged for a day's labor) they said it was the thermostat! Anyhow, it behaved fine until 2 months ago.

I've just replaced: thermostat, radiator cap, and fan relays with no improvement. The system has been "burped" following the regular recommendations.

There are no bubbles that might indicate a head gasket failure but I have ordered a kit to test for this just in case. The level in the header tank isn't dropping at all.

Please guys, I'm desperate for ideas.

Ask a Question