I lost the camshaft timing

Reaction score
It was time to replace my timing belt on a 2009 Forester. Somehow the camshafts got out of timing when installing the belt. The belt must have slipped when installing. Antway the crankshaft and the camshafts are not properly aligned to install the belt. How does one realign the camshafts to the crankshaft?
Also my 2009 does not have the guide to keep the belt on the crankshaft cog. This is the piece that keeps the belt from jumping on the crankshaft. Did the 2009 have this. The block is drilled and tapped for the piece.

To time it right. Pull the cover off and rotate the engine around to top dead center (TDC) on the crankshaft indicator.
Remove the timing belt and reinstall with all 3 marks aligned on the timing belt with crankshaft, and both camshafts.
Now rotate the engine around twice in the DOR (direction of rotation) until you are back at TDC.
All 3 timing marks should once again align perfectly thier positions if timed right.
If not: Remove the belt and turn the cams to the alignment mark. Reinstall the belt and rotate the engine over in DOR again twice. Check your marks.
Continue to due this until perfect timing is achieved.
I had to do this 3 times before mine came out perfect. Good Luck

Ask a Question