2017 Impreza - Lost key

Reaction score
Last year I purchased a used base model 2017 Impreza for my 17 year old. It has been a great little car, however, it only came with one key. Right after we purchased it, I took it to Ace to have a copy made, but for some reason they could not make a copy of that particular model. Anyways, life got in the way, and I just told him "he better not lose the key". Well, he finally lost the key.

I talked to the Subaru dealership (not where we purchased), and they said I would need to have the car towed there, the security piece removed and shipped to Subaru of America, and they would make a new key (or at least the fob portion), and finally the security component reinstalled.

So my question is...has anyone been through this process? Are there any other services that could help with this? I've checked a few locksmiths around town, and most of them assume you have another copy of the key are you are just trying to get another one.

As far as the lost key, we have turned the house upside down. Sofas, beds, took all trash and dumped on a tarp and searched, every piece of clothing with pockets searched. Any other ideas? None of his buds have been over, so no one else would have picked up and in the timeframe that it was first lost, he had not gone anywhere.

Ask a Question