EGI (CTRL) Fuse Blowing

Reaction score
We have had a re-occurring problem with our 2014 2.5L Outback Limited. The 15 A EGI (CTRL) fuse will blow, which renders the car dead. If you are driving when it happens the car just dies. The lights come on but it will not crank (starter does nothing). This is the third time this had happened, the last time was in February of 2022.

In the past, I have simply replaced the fuse and and the car cranks and runs. This time my wife was an hour away and I told her over the phone which fuse to replace. But the fuse continued to blow as soon as it was inserted. We had the car towed home and it sat overnight. The next day I disconnected the battery and left it sat for several hours. I re-connected the battery, install the fuse held (which held) and the car cranked. I let it sat overnight and my wife drove another vehicle to work today. I started the car this morning no issues and drove it a few miles...no issues.

A little more background this car is constantly going in and out of limp mode. The check engine light comes on, the E-brake light flashes, Cruise control with not work and the AT Temp light comes on. I've pulled the codes and it's the O2 sensors which I have replaced and/or cleaned. But it continues to go in and out of limp mode. We no longer have emission test for inspection and it doesn't matter whether or not the the Check Engine light is on to pass inspection. So I have given up trying to fix it and she/we simply drive it.

But back to the original and bigger problem of the EGI (CTRL) fuse blowing and that disabling the car. She has probably driven the car 15,000 miles since it last happened.

Anyone have experience with this issue and have you been able to resolve it?

Thanks

Ask a Question