Ebrake and Hill Assist stuck on after removing rear caliper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I searched the forum but couldn't find this exact issue, and I'm new to Subarus so looking for some guidance.

My wife's 2018 Legacy went into the local independent Subaru shop last month for new bearings and hubs on the rear, and came home with no issues that we knew of. Last week she took it to our tire shop (different place) for her normal rotate/balance, and they found that several of the lug studs and nuts were stripped due to the other shop likely using too much torque on their air tools and/or not starting the threads by hand. The tire shop didn't have the correct replacement studs and nuts but they were able to get the two affected wheels (passenger front and rear) back on with no issues and only missing one nut each. I ordered new studs and nuts and yesterday I tackled the rear passenger wheel. I've never worked on a Subaru before but it looked like any other rear disc setup, I removed the wheel, removed the caliper and hung it up with a coat hanger, removed the disc, hammered out the bad studs and used a stud install tool to put the new ones in, put the disc and caliper back on, and bolted the wheel back on.

Everything seemed to be fine until she went to drive the car, the ebrake light was on and wouldn't turn off, and the hill assist button was lit up and wouldn't turn off either, it just beeped twice when pressing the button. The "BRAKE" light is also lit up on the instrument panel. Is there a procedure I need to do to release both the ebrake and hill assist functions? Will I need a special scan tool (I have a OBDII wireless dongle for my iPhone but I don't have an advanced scan tool)? It doesn't seem like the ebrake is actually on, as the car will roll fine in neutral and seems to have full power in drive, but we don't want to drive it until we can resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help!

Never mind, I'm an idiot. I took the wheel back off today to see if I missed something or if I could do any manual adjustment, and I found the power connector for the ebrake motor was just loose enough to lose connection but still looked plugged all the way in. I took it off and cleaned it, and put it back on until it snapped into place, and now everything is working normally again. I must have knocked it loose when I was moving the caliper around, or maybe it was already not quite snapped in from that work last month and I jarred it the rest of the way loose. Either way, problem solved.

Ask a Question