2008 Subaru Impreza major power loss up hills, stalls

Reaction score
2008 Subaru Impreza, 2.5L, 215k, Manual

I was going down the highway, rev-matching and switching gears due to some light traffic, and my car all of a sudden lit up the "check engine" light.

I pulled over, had someone drive to me to attempt jump-starting. Car tried turning over, but no luck.

There was a bit of a hill where I was, so I popped the clutch and got the car going. I had a majorly hard time after getting off the exit and making it up a small hill - car was in high rpm's in low gear and I was slowing down, even with the gas pedal down.

Finally shut off. I got some misfire codes. The whole engine was running so hot that with the car off, a radiator hose busted and coolant sprayed everywhere under the hood (it was smoking, I personally had thought something was on fire).

My 2008 Subaru Impreza is throwing 4 codes right now:

- P0028, Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2
- P0026, Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2
- P0303, Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
- P0304, Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

As an added note, maybe 10-20 minutes before the very first check engine light came on, all of a sudden I was having a very hard time shifting gears. It was odd.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Based on these symptoms, I had thought the issue might be the fuel pump, but it might be an electrical issue under the hood. I have no idea.

A brand new fuel pump will cost me $400-$600 and I can't make that happen right now.

Ask a Question