Struggling to Climb Hills

Reaction score
Afternoon,

2010 Forrester with automatic Transmission - approx 210,000 miles on it

This is a recent issue. The car has been properly "peppy" until this started.

I'm experiencing a loss of "peppy" acceleration when driving around town. There's not really a hesitation like the transmission is slipping, it's just slow to build speed. The real problem is hills out on the interstate though. I can hit the bottom of the hill around 75mph, and it slows to 70 .. 65 .. 60 .. 55mph by the time I reach the top. If I try to push it by giving it more gas, it goes into overdrive, but still doesn't really speed up as it should. Once I reach the top, it will slowly work its way back up to 70 or so.

Forget trying to pass a truck! It used to be able to zip around a truck that was going 70 or 75 with no issues. Now, it will be doing good to get around the truck at all before the next hill and I really start ticking off everybody behind me!

The transmission doesn't seem to be slipping. It's a loss of power.
Oh, and it took an entire tank of gas on a trip that usually only take 1/2 tank of gas on the day this started.
Thoughts?

PS:
Known issues to be looked at next time it goes to the shop, but I don't think these are part of the problem:
It has a very slow oil leak. As long as I watch the levels, it's fine. Oil was just changed two days ago.
It has a very slow transmission fluid leak. Every 4 or 5 weeks it looks a little low, and I carefully top it off to not overfill. I found this out because it DID get really low once and spun a bit on gear engagement. I took it to the shop immediately and they checked and leveled the fluid and told me to keep an eye on it as I didn't have enough money for anything expensive like replacing seals at the time. It's been fine after that.

I had the same problem. it got steadily worse. It needed a new catalytic converter. Runs like new again.

Ask a Question