Diagnosing persistent issues with A/C and check engine lights

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a used 2006 Subaru Forester in January 2018 with ~51,000 miles and have driven it since with an odometer reading of around 91,000 miles now.

I have had persistent issues every year or so with the A/C running hot or weak, followed by blinking ABS/brake/engine lights, and generally the car will idle lowly or die following this.
I have gotten a number of repairs (see below) and continue to have this issue without great diagnosis.

I would appreciate any help or insight on what might be going on here before I sell this thing as a lemon.

History:

June 2018: Check engine light came on driving on highway, started idling really low and sputtering. Got towed to repairs.
  • New wires, both valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, new coil pack.
July 2018: Check engine light came on, car idling low.
  • Got new battery and terminal.
December 2020: A/C compressor belt tensioner pulley bearing failed, seized, shredded belt and damaged timing belt cover.
  • Got timing belt cover, timing cover gasket, drive belt A/C, A/C belt tension pulley, drive belt, and second timing cover gasket replaced.
June 2021: A/C started running hot on highway, battery light/ABS/brake light came on, radio and speedometer lost total power, and car died on side of highway.
  • Replaced battery and alternator.
June 2021: After replacing the battery, drove 2 days later on a road trip and had same issues come up as above.
  • Either battery or alternator replaced again,
July 2021: Car idling really low at stoplights and indicators flashing.
  • Cleaned out throttle body.
March 2022: A/C running hot, all indicators flashing again.
  • Relearned and reset throttle body memory.
April 2022: A/C running really low, ABS light running steady and other indicators flashing.
  • Currently in shop. They haven't been able to replicate the issue, but I wanted to get the car in before it dies on the side of the road again. They said they could rebuild the throttle body for $1,600 as an educated guess. I declined, since the throttle body to my knowledge would only map to low idling which isn't happening now.

Ask a Question