Diagnosing Issues with AC

Reaction score
Hello! Hoping someone can give me a little advice on diagnostic issues with my girlfriend's 2013 Subaru Impreza's air conditioning.

So here's the gist:

AC will not turn on along with the heater.
No air blows through and I can only hear a click coming from the glovebox area once turning on.

When we bought the car used and it already seemed like the AC wasn't as powerful and about a few months ago, our AC went out and was only turning on and off at random. After assuming it may be the blower motor, I had replaced this and still no success. I then thought this may be the fuse located near the blower motor and wound up replacing this. Now the blower motor will no longer turn on and off at random. I'm thinking of trying to replace the blower motor resistor but I am unsure if this is what is needed.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to diagnose this before trying the resistor - especially if it's just the whole AC unit that needs to be replaced. I've done a lot of research on this but still can't figure out the best way of knowing if it's the clutch that needs to be replaced or the maybe something electrical or even another fuse.

Does the car's AC clutch have to engage for the blower motor to turn on?
Does the resistor determine anything such as if the AC clutch will turn on or not? Or is this just to engage certain speeds of the AC?

Any assistance with diagnosing this would be great.

The blower has these directional valves (really a lil door) that open and close depending on where you have it set to blow. possibly one of those is stuck closed

Ask a Question