Break-lights Staying on & Bad Fuses

MHE

Reaction score
Type of car: 1995 Subaru Impreza

The situation:
(a) Break lights stay on all the time, have to pull the fuse to save the battery or it drains (this fuse controls the horn and the break lights)
(b) Fuse sparks when I plug it into the unit. The fuses are not blown or melted either.
(b) Pulled the fuse for a while, it worked, but now the car is deader than a door nail even if I pull the fuse. Have to jump the car to get it started. Turn it off, goes dead again.

Fixes I have already tried and they don't work:
(1) Steering wheel switch - The switch on top of the steering wheel (for older Subaru's) is in the OFF position, so it is not the issue. Already checked.
(2) Break-light Switch - The little black break-light switch up-under the steering wheel where the break is has been replaced TWICE, and I screw them on correctly. Still not fixing the problem. Already checked.
(3) Bad battery - I took the battery to the local auto service store, they checked it, the battery is fine and not drained out. Already checked.
(4) Bad alternator - I jumped the car, let it run for a while, pulled the batter plugs off to see if the car would stall out and reveal it was the alternator. Car still ran. Already checked.
(5) Bad bulbs - I checked the bulbs, replaced others, they all come on correctly when they are supposed to, but when the car is on and the fuse put in (20 amp) the break lights come on and stay on. Turn the car off, they stay on. But now, when I turn the car off, they go dead the car is dead. Already checked.

Is there any help out there for this freakn frustrating situation!?!

MHE

Ask a Question