Engine break in rpm restriction.....Really?

Reaction score
During the time the Subaru folks were giving my Wife and I the new owner check out, I was told to keep the rpm below 4000 for the 1st 1000 miles. I've always been of the opinion that you drive the car like you want it to run. Occasional rip thru the gears. I'll honor their advise, but this engine really starts to get it around 3500 rpm due to the turbo. Makes it hard the keep the rpm below 4000.

Curious as to your opinion.

Is this a Manual Trans? The break in period is roughly 500 to 1000 miles. You DO want to keep the revs below 4k and NOT use constant speeds(cruise control) for long distances. It allows the engine to seat everything properly and create a seal on the piston rings. If you beat it, it will beat you.

Yes, definitely baby it for the first few hundred, if not a couple thousand miles. First oil change and you should be good to go. But if you let them do the first oil change, and they see excessive metal in the oil, yeah, they'll know and you'll wish you hadn't. Especially with these horizontally-opposed engines.

I'm fortunate enough that my first Subaru has less than 10K miles and was leased by a little old lady for exactly (to the week) two years. Funny story: When I looked at the CarFax, it said the last inspection was done in town a few miles from me, about 40 miles from the dealership she leased it from, which is where I bought it. I stopped in at the inspection place and asked if they also put on the like-new tires. They hadn't, they were original, but when they looked up the history they told me who she was: I really DID get a car driven by a little old lady to church every Sunday and occasionally to the store. This car spent probably 90% of its time on the main street from her house to the store less than a mile away and the church in-between. This car drives like brand new, because it was probably never romped on.

Ask a Question