2017 Crosstrek Nightmare

Reaction score
Anyone else own, or have friends/family who own, a Crosstrek w/ less than 100k miles that has experienced major engine failure?

Bought a used 2017 Crosstrek Hybrid from a local Subaru dealer last October (2022) w/ ~70k miles. During the 4th of July weekend the radiator hose split and completely detached, spraying coolant all over the engine and resulting in a blown head gasket. Pulled over and had it towed to the dealer (who serviced the vehicle for the last 10 months), where I was quoted $6,800 in repairs. The Service Tech explained this "happens way more than you'd think" and shared that the same thing happened to his wife's 2018 Crosstrek last year.

Customer Service only offered $1,000 in "dealer credit" to purchase another Subaru, stating that engine failure can occur any time after 60k miles, despite routine (dealer) service/maintenance. As I've purchased other used (non-Subaru) vehicles that made it well past 150k miles w/ routine maintenance before head gasket failure, I was a bit surprised to not discover this issue when researching brands/models last fall. That said, I won't be purchasing another Subaru and was curious what other brands/models I should consider for my next purchase. Thanks!

Ask a Question