2017 outback amp and sound issues

Reaction score
The bottom drains for the sunroof on my outback were plugged, so rain water backed up into the passenger foot well through the electrical hub that's right in front of where the drain dumps into the frame. There was enough water that the amp and the harnesses got really wet.

Even before I got everything torn apart and dried out, most of the functions on the head unit were working (Nav, radio reception, maintenance reminders, phone & bluetooth connections, etc.). Now that I've got everything dried out, there's still no sound or even sound levels (the bar at the top of the screen that shows how loud you've got the audio set) and the sound settings - the equalizer and fader - are grayed out. The audio apps (pandora, aha) are also grayed out. I got a replacement amp, but it didn't fix the problem.

I checked all the fuses on the drivers side fuse box and they all looked good. Haven't checked the ones in the engine compartment because I didn't realize there were fuses there (my ex usually fixed the cars), but I'll do that when it quits raining. It does look like there's some oxidation on the pins of some of the wiring connections.

Two questions: could the oxidation on these pins cause the issues with the sound settings? If so, what's the best way to remove the oxidation inside those little plastic connectors? Second question, would dielectric grease help or hinder on these connectors?

Use Google Image with key words "clean oxidized connections" and there will be lots of information on how to clean and prepare oxidized connectors.
Dielectric grease will be the last step when cleaning is performed.

Make sure the roof drains and securely connected and drain tubes cleaned. Use compressed air to clean the drains a few times a year.

Ask a Question