1998 Impreza sport 4wd, rear axle shudders when braking

Reaction score
hi, I'm new and posting from France about my 1998 Impreza sport 4wd, rear right axle shudders and clunks when braking. This just started happening after I took it in to have brakes pads replaced. Mechanic showed me a problem with right rear axle which he could move back and forth (on differential side I think). He thought it was a transmission issue, but the French don't work on Subarus much and there is no local dealer to take it to, so I need to have him or me fix it. I'm assuming the back differential is more complex than normal car's differential because of 4wheel drive? Although it seems a relatively smaller box. The shudder only occurs on right rear side and only when braking. Odd it suddenly happened after brakes were worked on. BTW, he didn't replace pads/drums because he said drums were oily and that's the reason brakes were failing. Honest guy, he could have socked me for 4 new sets. Any ideas?

I'm wondering, after searching youtube, whether it might be a broken inner CV joint. Anyone had this problem.

Ask a Question