06 Temp Gauge

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum as I don't own a Subaru, but a friend does and is seeing an odd issue. He has a 2006 with about 130k miles on it. Recently the temp gauge started to jump up to where it is 2/3 the way up the gauge. Sometimes, it even jumps up as high as just under the red overheat indicator. When this happens, whithin 20 to 30 seconds the temp drops back down to normal.

To try and fix it he had the water pump replaced, thermostat replaced and radiator tested. Still the same exact symptoms. This occurs whether or not the AC is on but does seem to happen more often when at a stop or not moving fast. But the temp may raise when at a stop and drop back down while you are stopped.

I am not sure if this is a sensor, gauge, air in the system (leak somewhere or head gasket issue). It is not losing coolant, so does not seem like a leak and if it needed to be burped I would have hoped the mechanic would have done this after all of the attempted repairs.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like it has to be water temp sensor. If you say he has replaced thermostat. Subaru parts not aftermarket. No coming back later and saying there were no blades on waterpump impeller.

Ask a Question