'06 Baja overheating with A.C. on

Reaction score
Ok, so first off I've had this car since September of last year and put 10k plus miles on is with zero issues. Has about 89K or so now.
So I noticed in the past two weeks that if I put on the a.c. and drive on the highway for a little while the a.c. will go warm and it will quickly start to overheat. But once the a.c. is off it calms down to normal. I barely ever use a.c but it's been pretty insane around here lately. It does not overheat without the a.c. on though. I did notice it was getting low on coolant but haven't noticed and drippings.
So I take it into a shop today and they do diagnostics on it for about 1.5 hours and their take away is that they think the headgaskets are leaking and a possible coolant leak from the engine block itself, and started quoting me prices over $2500 for either a retooling or an entire new engine...needless to say I'm a bit upset seeing as this is the only issue I've had and they're saying I need an engine. Now I'm no car expert or anything so that's why I'm here. Has anyone encountered something like this before, and if so does this seem correct?
I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Ok, so first off I've had this car since September of last year and put 10k plus miles on is with zero issues. Has about 89K or so now.
So I noticed in the past two weeks that if I put on the a.c. and drive on the highway for a little while the a.c. will go warm and it will quickly start to overheat. But once the a.c. is off it calms down to normal. I barely ever use a.c but it's been pretty insane around here lately. It does not overheat without the a.c. on though. I did notice it was getting low on coolant but haven't noticed and drippings.
So I take it into a shop today and they do diagnostics on it for about 1.5 hours and their take away is that they think the headgaskets are leaking and a possible coolant leak from the engine block itself, and started quoting me prices over $2500 for either a retooling or an entire new engine...needless to say I'm a bit upset seeing as this is the only issue I've had and they're saying I need an engine. Now I'm no car expert or anything so that's why I'm here. Has anyone encountered something like this before, and if so does this seem correct?
I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

I had similar problem it was the secondary fan. it should turn on at 205 degrees Fahrenheit with the ac running.and kick back out at 194. mine had a bad fan moter.

Ask a Question