Whining noise possible transmission

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2016 crosstrek with 159k on it.

I know this has been a talked about topic but I wanted to ask about my situation personally.

Starting around 5-10 mph I get this noise coming from the frontish part of the car. I've tried to diagnose the noise myself so I'll explain what I've done.

I've jacked up the car and spun the wheels to check the wheel bearing. Those seemed fine. Next I started the car and reved the gas in park with no sound. The noise seems to only happen when driving, so I was moving about 25mph down a small hill and popped it into neutral and the noise went away. Stopped the car, started driving and the noise was back. This leads me to believe that it's the transmission. Also the noise seems to change pitch when car shifts gears.

Has anyone experienced this issue? If so, what did you do to rectify it? Wondering if dropping the pan, changing the filter and tranny fluid would help, or is my transmission shot?

Any thoughts/ideas would greatly be appreciated before I spend $$$ at the mechanic.

Ask a Question