Pop noise

Reaction score
I have a single "Pop" noise when cold starting my 2018 Legacy Premier. Any ideas? Thanks!

I have the same sound on my 2018 Outback Premier and it started around 120K miles. Almost like extra air or fuel is being released through a valve or a pressurized valve pop? I have read the same question about an older generation outback that had some rumbling that could be felt in the peddle and floor as well. Someone mentioned it could be backfiring in the engine a little. I don't notice it after it has warmed up or when turning it off. Currently looking for the same answer.

It seems anytime someone has taken it to the dealership, the dealership says not to worry about it. I'll bookmark this and let you know if I find a solution.

Edit: Mine also seems to do this on cold start when the temp is about 40 F or below only.

Last edited:
I have the same sound on my 2018 Outback Premier and it started around 120K miles. Almost like extra air or fuel is being released through a valve or a pressurized valve pop? I have read the same question about an older generation outback that had some rumbling that could be felt in the peddle and floor as well. Someone mentioned it could be backfiring in the engine a little. I don't notice it after it has warmed up or when turning it off. Currently looking for the same answer.

It seems anytime someone has taken it to the dealership, the dealership says not to worry about it. I'll bookmark this and let you know if I find a solution.

Edit: Mine also seems to do this on cold start when the temp is about 40 F or below only.
Sounds like exactly the same problem. Thanks for your input!

Ask a Question