overfilled trans fluid. drained fluid. what now

Reaction score
Hello

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition Wagon 2.5L 4AT Trans

Lil background. Hadn't touched the motor of a car prior to 2 years ago, changed oil, changed filters, changed brake caliper, changed alternator & serp belts, did both a couple times over the last 2 years. Decided I'd try to change the trans fluid while changing my oil today. Have always strayed away from it out of pure fear, and boy I should've stayed away from it.

Looked at manual on how much trans fluid the pan needed. 9.8 quarts. Seemed like a lot but ok, double checked like 8 places, all said 9.8. Called O'Reilly's because 9.8 seemed like a shit ton, everything kept saying 9.8 so I went ahead with 9.8. Big mistake. By the time I was done at 9.5 the fluid was almost to the top of the dipstick hole. Uh oh.

Decided to drain the fluid, drained out about 4 quarts, got it to the level where it said COLD and in between those lines. Turned the car on, sounded like absolute shit. Shifted through the gears, went back to sounding normal, but this time, the fluid level was lower with the hot fluid. Seemed weird. Filled it back up, now I have to drain a little more out so that sucks, getting a little tired of this shit.

Going to go to my local mechanic tomorrow morning to have an inspection done anyways, but my question is - Can I drive the car there with a reasonable level of certainty that it won't explode?

Thanks,

O'Reilly's should have told you - The transmission would be empty and so would the torque converter.
If the level is NOT above the hot mark and normal temperatures, it should be fine to drive.
The torque converter holds close to 4 liters, adding all the oil like you did calculates to 15 liters.
As the transmission is internally turning, the fluid will be sloshing, spinning and creating absolute hell within the transmission case.

Ask a Question