My 2012 outback is surging and dying

Reaction score
It idles ok and will drive almost normal for the first minute or so, then start losing power, surging, and dying.

This all started with a general loss of power on a long road trip. When I got back I tried a new cat because I thought it felt clogged and I’m stupid. Anyway, that seemed to make it worse, that’s when it started surging and really struggling to get ANY speed at all. Changing back to the old cat didn’t help.

I rebuilt the motor because when this started, I was about to buy a rebuildable core for other issues/for fun. I thought this *might* be mechanical so I just altered that plan a bit haha. This included new O2 sensors.

Then I checked fuel pressure (should have done that first) and it appears to be fine. 50 psi pretty steady.

Next I checked the air duct and removed this weird dust filter (not a regular air filter). No change.

Tested the alternator, 14.3V all thru the rev range.

Fuel injectors, plugs, and coils are all new last fall.

I tried JustAnswers and the mechanic on there ‘Kurt’ suggested cleaning or replacing the throttle body. I would assume that would cause a CEL but maybe not.

What else can I check??? The main wiring harness is kinda ugly looking (water temp sensor is already spliced, a few other unsightly spots), I wonder if it’s wiring related?

Ask a Question