Motor Swap - 2011 Forester

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and currently own and drive 3 Subarus - 1 Forester and 2 Outbacks. The Forester is the newest, a 2011. (I also have 2 VW Vans.) I enjoy tinkering on them all, but my most recent work has been on the Forester. It was a massive oil guzzler!

Maybe someone is interested in my FB25 exchange from my 2011 Subaru Forester to a 2016 Legacy engine.

Certain things have to be done as described in many forums on the internet.

Sensors, cam and crank reluctor wheels and sensors have to be changed to 2011 versions.

In my case I decided to use all the 2011 peripherals, except the front timing chain cover with the oil pump to accommodate the missing idler wheel mount. I made a bracket that mounts under the alternator that holds the idler wheel. The best part is that these are all easy mechanical fixes.

To avoid playing around with the dreaded TGV sensors, I decided to make myself adaptor plates that bolt on the manifold and the engine. The plates morph one intake shape to the new longer intake ports on the cylinder heads. It will use the original seal hardware. The only thing you need is longer bolts and to extend the EGR pipe. The plates are 15mm thick.

If anyone is interested in an easy way to overcome the TGV problem, I can definitely make additional adaptor plates and sell them for a fee and make them fairly quickly. Feel free to contact me.

See attached pix.

2023-11-03-09-23-22-242.jpg
2023-10-09-16-02-04-865.jpg
1686186822_20230603_132554_resized_1_mmthumb.jpg

Ask a Question