Legacy 2011 - Engine Misfire Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 4.

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Engine misfire was detected in my Subaru, 77K Miles. Showed it to 2 mechanics so far. The car shows minor pulsations when it is Idle. When I am going on long drives, Check Engine Light turns ON and stays.

1st Mechanic Diagnosis Results:
1. Spark Plugs are good.
2. Fuel Injectors are good.
3. Ignition Coil is good.
4. Spark Wires are good.
5. Catalytic Converter good.

He has asked me to take to a Subaru Dealer for additional verification.

2nd Mechanic (Subaru Dealer)
1. They told me they have done a leak test in the engine and concluded that Valve Guides are Worn Out.
2. They are asking to replace the engine which is costing 7K.
3. They cleared the check engine light for now.

Question:
Q) Why do we need to replace the engine when the valve guides are worn out?
Q) What other options do I have now?

If your issue is compression related then finding a shop that can recondition the heads is likely your best bet. If your doing the work may as well do both heads and have the timing components (chain, guides etc....) redone as well. It won't be cheap but would be cheaper than a full engine replacement. Just be sure the shop has familiarity with Subaru engines.

PS - that $7K at the dealer actually sounds cheap for a full engine replacement at dealer prices. Were then putting in a new engine for that price or just a 'reconditioned' unit?

Well $7K is for a used Subaru Engine. I am not a mechanic. Can we not just replace Valve Guides here of they are really worn out.

I need a good mechanic who can do a perfect diagnosis of the misfire. Do you happen to know any mechanic based out of Raleigh, NC.

I am not familiar with that area at all. Given the layout of the Subaru engine I'd suspect this is an engine out job no matter what needs doing. If the guides are the only issue that's fine but I'd still have the heads inspected by a good machine shop. Again, at that point the timing components should be changed and likely the water pump as well. At that point it's a cost of parts only since that all has to be removed.

Ask a Question