2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium Stalling (Automatic)

Reaction score
About 4 years ago, recall came out for the Torque Converter Control Module for 2011 Legacies. I had that replaced. Symptoms that time were Flashing ABS, Flashing Cruise Control (also unable to use cruise control), Engine Light, & Flashing E-Brake light (on dash). When going from 1st-2nd gear, there was a hard clunk and a sluggishness of the engine, then no problem.

For about the past year, I've had issues where the car will stall when coming to a hard stop (intersections or car stopping short in front of me). The car is quickly turned right back on with no issue. It does not feel like the TCCM failing as before.

I have replaced the throttle body, had battery examined, & had plugs & wires examined. I have done an idle relearn twice. Power steering fluid, oil, and brake fluid have all been flushed & are at acceptable levels. Anyone have any idea what else would be causing this issue? My next thought is replacing brake booster. It doesn't seem like any of the vacuum lines are worn/busted. If I let off the brake during a stop, the engine will bog a little, but doesn't stall. Example: Yellow light quickly turning red, hit the brakes, I can feel engine start to bog as RPM drop below ~1,500 - let off the brake, RPM picks back up, car doesn't stall. This has been driving me (and subsequently my wife, so then back to me again) quite insane.

About 4 years ago, recall came out for the Torque Converter Control Module for 2011 Legacies. I had that replaced. Symptoms that time were Flashing ABS, Flashing Cruise Control (also unable to use cruise control), Engine Light, & Flashing E-Brake light (on dash). When going from 1st-2nd gear, there was a hard clunk and a sluggishness of the engine, then no problem.

For about the past year, I've had issues where the car will stall when coming to a hard stop (intersections or car stopping short in front of me). The car is quickly turned right back on with no issue. It does not feel like the TCCM failing as before.

I have replaced the throttle body, had battery examined, & had plugs & wires examined. I have done an idle relearn twice. Power steering fluid, oil, and brake fluid have all been flushed & are at acceptable levels. Anyone have any idea what else would be causing this issue? My next thought is replacing brake booster. It doesn't seem like any of the vacuum lines are worn/busted. If I let off the brake during a stop, the engine will bog a little, but doesn't stall. Example: Yellow light quickly turning red, hit the brakes, I can feel engine start to bog as RPM drop below ~1,500 - let off the brake, RPM picks back up, car doesn't stall. This has been driving me (and subsequently my wife, so then back to me again) quite insane.

Did you ever get an answer to your problem with the Subaru?
I am driving a 2011 Outback and have experienced similar issues. Replaced the torque converter in 2017 and that solved the problem of idling low and dying when coming to a stop. It is now throwing the lights you mentioned earlier and runs sluggish while driving at various speeds. Not sure if electrical or fuel. Mechanics have been unable to determine. It is throwing a 302 code indicating cylinder 2 issue. I'm stumped and would like to fix it as I like the vehicle.

No, I haven’t gotten an answer yet. I replaced the TC in 2018. I’m not getting the 302 code though or any lights. I love the car, it’s just this nuisance stalling. Have they checked the Mass air flow or emissions? I was throwing codes to replace the primary and secondary cat converters. Had them done, but didn’t solve the stalling issue.

No, I haven’t gotten an answer yet. I replaced the TC in 2018. I’m not getting the 302 code though or any lights. I love the car, it’s just this nuisance stalling. Have they checked the Mass air flow or emissions? I was throwing codes to replace the primary and secondary cat converters. Had them done, but didn’t solve the stalling issue.

I did replace the MAF a while back but no luck. Frustrating especially now with the price of gasoline and having to drive the Toyota Tundra everywhere. I'm determined to find the problem.
Engine light is on, Cruise control blinking, brake light flashing and traction control light is on.
There may be a Gremlin in there.

I’m having the same issue now with my 2011 Legacy. Had the valve body replaced several years ago when they extended the warranty, after the Christmas tree syndrome. Prior to that, due to the stall issues described above, they checked for lock up. And the test was negative. They reprogrammed the engine control module, citing that there was a known issue with low RPMs when coming to a stop (all power items dragging the engine). Now at 189k it’s sometimes stalling at a hard stop. Time to trade/sell.

To replace the evaporator core in a 2011 subaru legacy do I have to remove the dashboard
You are hijacking another members post. Create your post and ask the question.

Ask a Question