Key stuck and gear stuck in Park

Reaction score
When I park my 2012 Legacy in the garage, put it in park and turn the key to take it out, it won’t turn all the way. The motor turns off, but the key doesn’t turn all the way. Then it’s freezen and won’t turn at all and won’t shift out of park.
I Looked online and saw it could be a battery issue. I charged the battery with a Battery tender and the key came out! I replaced the 8 year old battery (!) and I thought the problem was solved. Then it happened again yesterday. Over the last week I could sense the key was kind of ‘sticking’ a bit before it came out and then yesterday it wouldn’t turn all the way and froze up again. I charged the new battery again and it came out.
I’m so frustrated and scared to be left somewhere. It has only happened in my garage and only after I have driven the car somewhere. I’m retired and work part time close to home so I really don’t drive much. Anyone have a clue??

If you suspect the battery, bring it to a professional to test ...
1) A parasitic electrical draw
2) A defective battery
3) Insufficient alternator output to charge the battery
4) Defect between the PRNDL mechanism and ignition switch assembly.

There is a relationship between the PRNDL (shifter assembly) and the ignition switch assembly.
A smart technician will check the Battery negative cable to the body ground and any ground straps that connect from the body ground to the engine / transmission assembly.
A detailed vehicle network scan may also offer hints to possible faults.
For the time being, use the battery maintainer until it's solved.

As an example, keeping one of these tools in the vehicle will save the day.
Caution: charge after use and never allow the device to freeze.

When I park my 2012 Legacy in the garage, put it in park and turn the key to take it out, it won’t turn all the way. The motor turns off, but the key doesn’t turn all the way. Then it’s freezen and won’t turn at all and won’t shift out of park.
I Looked online and saw it could be a battery issue. I charged the battery with a Battery tender and the key came out! I replaced the 8 year old battery (!) and I thought the problem was solved. Then it happened again yesterday. Over the last week I could sense the key was kind of ‘sticking’ a bit before it came out and then yesterday it wouldn’t turn all the way and froze up again. I charged the new battery again and it came out.
I’m so frustrated and scared to be left somewhere. It has only happened in my garage and only after I have driven the car somewhere. I’m retired and work part time close to home so I really don’t drive much. Anyone have a clue??
Hi,
I have a 2014 Impreza and I had a problem with my key not coming out of the ignition in 2021. It was a sensor. There is/was an extended warranty dor this $50.00 part/$200-300.00 labor. Park shift sensor.
I had to restart my car, reverse, drive, turn wheels, park, turn off engine multiple times to get the car to recognize it was in park, and release the key. So frustrating! I hope this helps.

Ask a Question