Key not working

Reaction score
I discovered this morning that my key would not unlock the doors or boot. I unlocked the car manually. My wife tried her car and it didn't work either. Late in the day her key was working again but mine was not. I bought and istalled a new battery but the key still doesn't work What can I do?

I discovered this morning that my key would not unlock the doors or boot. I unlocked the car manually. My wife tried her car and it didn't work either. Late in the day her key was working again but mine was not. I bought and istalled a new battery but the key still doesn't work What can I do?
You don't mention what year, but if still under warranty I would take it to the dealer

I forgot to mention the year. It is the 2006 model, way out of warranty! This morning I will try something suggestedon the internet, disconnecting the car battery so that everything resets.

Battery replaced ? = Remote Key Fob.
Disconnecting the battery does nothing = urban legend. Now you have to reset the throttle body !!
If the instructions do not work, there is another problem. Check your fuses.

When the ECM is Reset and all DTC's have been cleared, the ECM idle control is also cleared.
If you have SSM3 or SSM4, simply instruct the ECM to set the idle speed.
Aftermarket bi-directional scan tools should be able to adapt the throttle program.
If there is no access to a factory style scan tool, you can recreate the proper conditions for the ECM to relearn idle control and the correct RPM to maintain idle speed under load conditions.
Load conditions include:
Cooling fans ON or OFF
A/C request
Power Steering load request
Transmission load request
Any electrical load request
Procedure:
1. Ensure all power accessories ie: lighting, heater and electrical parasites are OFF.
2. Disconnect the battery negative for 30 minutes.
3. Reconnect the battery negative.
4. Following all steps without touching any switches or pedals. Use the ignition key only.
5. Insert key to the ON position only for 20 seconds.
6a. Turn the key so that the engine starts.
6b. Set timer for 20 minutes.
6c. Let engine idle for 20 minutes.
7. Turn key OFF and leave the key in ignition for 20 seconds.
8. Remove the key.
9. Repeat step 5 and Continue to step 10a when complete.
10a. Turn the key so the engine starts and set timer for 10 minutes.
10b. Let engine idle for 10 minutes.

You're welcome

Attachments

• Subaru Key Fob.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ask a Question