HVAC evaporator replacement instructions

Reaction score
Hey all. My beloved 2000 GT a/c stopped working a few weeks ago. The sniffer tells me that refrigerant is leaking only inside from under the dash, so I fear an evaporator or a related O-ring. If I have to go in there, it seems like it makes sense to just replace the evap, even if that isn't the bug. Aftermarket is cheap.

I can't find, in the service manuals or the YouTubes, how this can be done, hopefully without pulling the dash. I do see that it is possible on other Subaru models. Does anyone have a link to the instructions that I can read or watch...or have any info to add? Thank you! I hate to think that it'll be a winter only car for me after 200k+ miles.

Also, if anyone can advise on how to log in to legactgt.org, that would be great. The security image doesn't show, so I can get past that to login, register again, or contact them.

Sorry! The two in the sig are the same, I think, but this is on the 2000 Legacy GT Limited 5spd. 204k miles.

You are awesome. Thank you. Looks much easier than dash removal. Going to pickup the $5 set of O-rings to try first.

Ask a Question