How to tell if I need to replace my caliper, can all 4 calipers go bad the same time?

Reaction score
Hi:

I have 2016 Subaru Outback with 110,000 + miles.

I have just replaced entire set of rotors and pads front and back.

Calipers look fine, no leaking, pistons can be compressed (front) or turn (rear), no burning, no smoking, not pulling the side. I can spin the tires with some resistance.

Feel pulsation and hear rubbing sound on high speed (constantly, not only when I press the brake pad), pad wear more on the inside then the outside (uneven wear). Thing is, all 4 calipers behave the same (uneven ware). All inside of 4 rotors have rust, all inside pads wear out much more than outside. Can all 4 caliper go bad together.

Caliper never been bleed before.

Please advise what can cause that pulsation feeling and rubbing sound. It sounds like the pads are constantly touching the rotors.

Did anyone bother to lubricate the sliding pins (two on each caliper) when servicing the brakes?
Non lubricated pin can cause over heating and if the rotors are warped, they will require machining or replacement with a correct brake caliper service. That would also include the "brake pad stays". Many times, the brake pads seize inside the stays because of the lack of maintenance.
You can expect that if living in the rust belt.
Exchanging / bleeding the brake fluid (the correct type) is a good maintenance practice.

Ask a Question