Hi from Australia I have a Subaru and need some advice.

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Subaru Liberty B4 2.0ltr F4 16v DOHC
Twin Turbo MPFI EJ20 I have a blown engine.
was wondering if I can use the wrx EJ205 this engine has the EJ20 printed on the block just like mine
so I'm a little confused,the sellers say is ok to fit my car I'm just not sure need advice thank you

The EJ20 stamping on both versions are the same except for changes in compression ratio. The differences will be the "plumbing" differences with the WRX. Having both engines side by side will tell the entire story. inspect all wiring connections. ie: injector, ignition coil, emission controls, exhaust components, valve timing solenoids etc.
There will be some parts swapping but the EJ205 relies a slightly different engine control firmware.
It may require a mild tune to have it operate at a factory level.
If it does fit, replace the clutch parts, test the compression with the replacement on the shop floor before installation, check / replace the timing belt with all the idlers and water pump.

The EJ20 stamping on both versions are the same except for changes in compression ratio. The differences will be the "plumbing" differences with the WRX. Having both engines side by side will tell the entire story. inspect all wiring connections. ie: injector, ignition coil, emission controls, exhaust components, valve timing solenoids etc.
There will be some parts swapping but the EJ205 relies a slightly different engine control firmware.
It may require a mild tune to have it operate at a factory level.
If it does fit, replace the clutch parts, test the compression with the replacement on the shop floor before installation, check / replace the timing belt with all the idlers and water pump.
thanks for the reply.
so the story is .
I bought this car with a blown head gasket, at least that is what the ad stated.
I pull it all apart to find 2 big holes in the block.
to find out ej20 b4 be are hard engines to find and when you do very expensive.

anyway, the seller says the ej205 is the same block all I need is to remove its heads and replace my original heads for the cam sensor as well my heads have the oil ports for the turbos. I'm not sure if this is true or not.
i would need to use all electronics ,inlet manifold of my original engine

Then rebuild the original heads with OEM gaskets only and timing belt assembly.
Purchase or find an OEM manual.

got a few more questions.
what causes the block to get this much damage and the valves to bend especially the inlet also guides are the damage. I thought bad timing but checked the timing was good.
I bought it this way, possibly the previous owner fixed the timing.
just curious.
my other question is why is the oil feed to the turbos have tiny holes?
the banjo bolts have tiny holes.
wouldn't that starve turbos of oil?

Attachments

• 343423327_6224422360960242_8595073322468809708_n.jpg
    343423327_6224422360960242_8595073322468809708_n.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 345143052_169203732768218_9119834468541401417_n.jpg
    345143052_169203732768218_9119834468541401417_n.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 345246179_3177480295877020_8318013771129621339_n.jpg
    345246179_3177480295877020_8318013771129621339_n.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6
No mater what was found, smashing valves is and always be timing that is out of sync.
As for the bango bolts, purchase new ones with the sealing washers and match what you have between them.
Turbo chargers are supplied main line oil with pressure from the oil pump.
Larger holes will obviously drop pressure. The turbo shaft relies on oil flow as well.

No mater what was found, smashing valves is and always be timing that is out of sync.
As for the bango bolts, purchase new ones with the sealing washers and match what you have between them.
Turbo chargers are supplied main line oil with pressure from the oil pump.
Larger holes will obviously drop pressure. The turbo shaft relies on oil flow as well.
thanks

just found out my LH side head is cracked where the bent valves are.
I need LH H20B can't find one for sale anywhere.
can I use the 2001 WRX used cylinder head LH004 looks identical

I already got short block sent both heads to a machine shop and got bad news on crackhead
all I need is a head. been looking at pictures comparing and looks identical, just the cams are different.
I can use my cams but just not sure

Bring the "pair" of cylinder heads to the machine shop and have them inspect the ports, galleries, coolant openings etc side by side to attempt a match. The original cams are the best course of action. The cylinder heads need to be a pair and not mixed.

that is a lot of good information.
too many models of Subaru have very similar heads.
spoke to Subaru tech.
this was my question.
you obviously know the B4 just wondering, if i could use the head of SUBARU FORESTER SF GT USED EJ205 CYLINDER HEAD - 2.0L TURBO 97-02 and just do plumbing on it?

his reply:
yes, heads are the same but you will need to do the drilling on LH, the forester came with a single turbo
otherwise, they’re identical engines.
The 205 was from xt and wrx, the 206 was twin turbo and the 207 was STi.
All the same actual engine, just different intercoolers turbos, forge parts, and tuning.

is this correct?
I don't want to purchase a SUBARU FORESTER used head EJ205 unless its right

Everything is correct and that is why a machinist would want to view / test / measure / compare the original to the replacement.
Confirm the part numbers with the dealer sources, that have access to more information.
What ever changes you do make, document those steps and part numbers.

have another question
what will happen if I miss placed the valve buckets?
like, put ex buckets on inet and vice verse.
will it do damage to valves or cams ?
what kind of sound does it make?
The atm sounds like an exhaust manifold leak
on the LH side but I can't find the leak
so I'm assuming could be buckets or could be the engine itself?
the noise gets better when I rev it any help please

definitely.
been looking on youtube for my engine valve clearance for B4 twin turbo
there's nothing that I can find.
only the STI engine not sure if it's the same valve clearance.
Valve clearance: Intake: 0.20+0.04 -0.06mm (0.0079 +0.0016 -0.024in)
Exhaust: 0.35 0.05 mm (0.0138 0.0020 in)

so Intake needs to be at 0.06mm and Exhaust at 0.05mm
always thought INT is smaller then exh

That's why a proper service manual will offer the correct clearances for the engine mounted for that model.

well, thanks for the tip.
I'm not asking for tips I'm asking for help

I have bought a Subaru Liberty b4 turbo workshop manual nothing on the twin-turbo
lots of scammers online.
don't tell me the next tip you going to say take it to a mechanic

Ask a Question