Head gasket Forester

Reaction score
First time doing head gasket on my 05 Forester and forgot to remove a bolt on a bracket (driver side head) I was prying the head and block with a screwdriver and nicht the block. My question is do I have to resurface the block if the nicht is on the end of the block.
F86AA84C-52BB-49F7-BD45-2CACDBB0263C.jpeg
64289C08-BAE7-401E-9811-9AC7524FE2CE.jpeg

yes, but also no...
if you can block sand it (800 grit sand paper and a flat piece of wood) to make the "high" points level, you can get away without having the block repaired.

do you plan on using a head gasket sealer spray like the copper stuff from parts stores?

I was planning on wet sanding it with 150 grit and finishing it up with 320 grit but maybe I’ll just finish it up with 800 grit. What do you think?

No, I wasn't planning on using the copper gasket spray. Why? Should I?

I was planning on wet sanding it with 150 grit and finishing it up with 320 grit but maybe I’ll just finish it up with 800 grit. What do you think?

No, I wasn't planning on using the copper gasket spray. Why? Should I?

400 grit for sanding followed by 800 grit is what I've used for any damage (by other people) on my vehicles and client vehicles.

The copper head gasket spray acts as both a barrier and adhesive. I have not used it on aluminium, mainly on cast iron.
If there is pitting or dents in the sealing surface I recommend using the spray.
I also recommend getting a second opinion.

As for actual head gaskets, are you going with the newer revised Felpro (or other well-known brand)? If not, you should.
Unless the heads and case are machined professionally I wouldn't use actual "Subaru" headgaskets.

400 grit for sanding followed by 800 grit is what I've used for any damage (by other people) on my vehicles and client vehicles.

The copper head gasket spray acts as both a barrier and adhesive. I have not used it on aluminium, mainly on cast iron.
If there is pitting or dents in the sealing surface I recommend using the spray.

As for actual head gaskets, are you going with the newer revised Felpro (or other well-known brand)? If not, you should.
Unless the heads and case are machined professionally I wouldn't use actual "Subaru" headgaskets.

Yes, I’m getting the heads machine professionally and also getting the fel-pro gaskets.

I’m going to ask the machine shop for their opinion also.

I really appreciate you taking time to answer most of my questions. Thank you.

I called the machine shop today and they told me to just add JB Weld and block sand it. He said it should work.

JB weld is not a good choice on an engine or transmission wear there is Fluid or and pressure.

I suggest the copper spray, its better than jb weld, and better that a bare headgasket.
Only use it on the case/block side.
You can put it on both sides but it depends on the headgasket top layer material.
So just stick to coating the bottom side (case/block).

Of course, prep work is critical.

JB weld is not a good choice on an engine or transmission wear there is Fluid or and pressure.

I suggest the copper spray, its better than jb weld, and better that a bare headgasket.
Only use it on the case/block side.
You can put it on both sides but it depends on the headgasket top layer material.
So just stick to coating the bottom side (case/block).

Of course, prep work is critical.

Well, I already added it because it takes 24 hours to cure.

Do you think if I block sand it flush, 400 grit, finish it with 800 grit and add the copper spray. I will be good. I just added a little.

C2033F32-79DC-4FB9-B212-D9210BFF4077.jpeg

Ask a Question