Grinding noise when rolling

Reaction score
My 2001 Forester has started with a grinding noise coming from the rear. A few years ago I had the right wheel bearing replaced but I seem to remember that as a different sound. This sound is like an out of round grinding metal to metal sound that starts from a stop and can be heard to about 20 mph or so. I thought it could be one of the bearings but when I lifted the rear end off the ground and rotated the wheels, they sounded and felt good. My 2001 has drum brakes on the back. I thought it might be a problem with those. When I pull on the parking brake while rolling, the noise doesn't seem to change. With garages so busy (supply chain issues with new cars), people are fixing their old ones more, causing long waits at garages. 2 weeks just to get an appointment at the local Subaru dealer!
I know there not too much to go on but I'm am hoping someone will have a idea what my problem is?

My 2001 Forester has started with a grinding noise coming from the rear. A few years ago I had the right wheel bearing replaced but I seem to remember that as a different sound. This sound is like an out of round grinding metal to metal sound that starts from a stop and can be heard to about 20 mph or so. I thought it could be one of the bearings but when I lifted the rear end off the ground and rotated the wheels, they sounded and felt good. My 2001 has drum brakes on the back. I thought it might be a problem with those. When I pull on the parking brake while rolling, the noise doesn't seem to change. With garages so busy (supply chain issues with new cars), people are fixing their old ones more, causing long waits at garages. 2 weeks just to get an appointment at the local Subaru dealer!
I know there not too much to go on but I'm am hoping someone will have a idea what my problem is?
OK this is very weird. I read others on this forum about the "grinding noise" and more than one person talked about lug nuts "that were incorrectly torqued or weren't torqued at all". When I switched my winter tires over to my Impresa mags, I definitely torqued the lug nuts to 75 ft lbs. But I thought today just for due diligence I'd check the torque on the mags. Two were finger loose! If it hadn't been for this forum I'd of paid some garage lots of money to perhaps find the same fault or worse, replace something that didn't need replacing.

Ask a Question