Gen 4 vs Gen 5 real world mileage

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I don’t own an outback yet but am seriously considering replacing my 2003 prius with one in the next couple months. I haven’t found great information on this topic so I started a thread. If its been discussed, feel free to point me in that direction. Looking at gen 4’s and early gen 5’s with 2.5.

The gen 4 2010 year lists an epa highway mileage of 27. The updated engine in 2013/2014 increases that to 30 mpg. The 2015 gen 5 increases it to 33. That’s a big (to me) difference between 2010 and 2015 but from what I see on fuely, the real world mileage between the three iterations is the exact same.

Question: are people seeing a noticeable real world difference in mileage between the early gen 4, late gen 4, and early gen 5’s for anyone that's been lucky enough to have both?

I just traded a '23 Touring (non-turbo). Granted I only drove it 8,000 miles, but I got a solid 26.5 around town. Highway was a different story. If you keep it in the 55-60 mph range on a highway trip driving very conservative you will see 33-35. When you get to 70+, plan on back to the high 20's at best. My overall for the entire 8K was 27.5. I was very happy with the gas mileage with the exception of the Interstate 75 mph results.

I traded for a '24 Ascent. I know where my mileage is going. I can see 19 in town, 25 at best on the road. Only a few miles into it and I'm sure the weight, design and turbo are going to cost me money.

That said. If I drive 15,000 miles a year, at current gas prices, its going to cost $500 bucks a year more. If you like the Outback, buy the latest model year you can affford. As with all vehicles, drive conservative.

Ask a Question