First time subie buyer just purchased an 86 XT project/daily driver

Reaction score
Hi! I've always loved the boxy aesthetics of mid 80s imports, and today I bought my very first one. It's an 86 XT non turbo 5-speed, which means it's also just front wheel drive, and as far as I can tell it's GL trim not GL-10 so nothingy super rare or cool. And it's also got over 200k on the odometer, so this ol gal has been AROUND the block haha. Minor cosmetic damage that you'd naturally expect and find and most used 40 year old cars. All it needs mechanically is a front left stabilizer arm that was bent went a tire blew and put the car in a ditch ten years back. It's sat since then, with only the last three years being outside.

My plan is to fix the damage, do the usual oil/plug/filter change and just drive it how it is for a while. I love it, and I kind of like that it's nothing special, just a little faded blue nugget of automotive fun. On the side, I'll be looking for a turbo v6 AWD drivetrain in it from perhaps the XT6 (I think that's the one I need?). I figure I'll drive the car as my daily commuter and rebuild the swap in the meantime. The when I'm ready (or the motor kersplodes) I'll have a fun swap that should be fairly straightforward.

Obviously I'm not an expert on this car, and I have no intentions of making into some kinda of race car. More of a fun daily driver, with the swap being more for giggles than anything. I've been working on trucks since I was knee-high, and I'm so excited to finally have my first car project! Please let me know what y'all think, would love to talk to owners of this model or similar ones.

Ask a Question