Subie for me?

Reaction score
Heyas,
New member and joined so I could surf old threads to learn about the brand in general. Also common repairs and such.

That being said, I'm considering the following for my next vehicle which may be my last one. I'm 55 and had my 3 series BMW
F150 - An XLT 4x4, not really into all the stuff a Platinum model brings. Holy crap $45k! It's a truck, can't really go wrong.
Wrangler - Always wanted one. Get me off road to whatever camping spot. Can modify to the moons if desired. Bad on Gas. $40k.

Subaru
I have been looking at the Crosstrek, Forester, and Outback Sports models. I don't really need a lot of fancy stuff but the 2.5L engine seems like the way to go. Is the difference in these vehicle mostly size? They have the same engine, roughly the same MPG, the sport models have X-mode. What am I missing here?
What turned me on to these models was seeing a Crosstrek in the parking lot at Costco. It had a lift kit, ATs, and it had a spigot for a water tank on the back. That was cool. Retired lady was sitting in it and she was excited to take about her car. "You should see the roads my husband an I go up!"
So after watching a bunch of videos one of the models accomplishes all of the off-road I would do. Also is a tame daily drive with good mileage.
Any thoughts?

BMW is well...bmw. Nuff said
F150 is a waste unless you plan to tow
Wranglers are THE most offroad capable vehicle built.
Subaru Outback, Forester and Crosstrek all have great offroad ability without sacrificing on road drivability. If you want comfort for everyday but capabilities for occasional off road. Subaru is the way to go.
Crosstrek is kind of a smaller Outback. Forester is great for visibility and Outback has a longer wheelbase which makes it a little more comfortable.

Good luck with your shopping. (my opinion dont bother with the bmw or f150)

Hey Thanks. No, no more BMWs, just wanted to state I am currently driving an X3. Good synopsis of the Subaru models.

Ask a Question