Feel like Im chasing a ghost issue

Reaction score
In January I swapped a motor from a 2010 forester from a junkyard into my 2010 Impreza after the Impreza engine got a rod knock due to a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the oil; I then replaced a significant amount of peripheral parts (spark plugs, coil pack, torque converter, etc) then continued driving with caution.

The engine continued to misfire as it had Before I swapped it out, puzzling me as to what could be the issue. Later on the car went into limp mode due to a wheel sensor misaligning when I replaced the bearing/hub, and over time the misfire has gradually worsened, to the degree that it now shudders occasionally at idle, and to be able to accelerate at all I need to lean into the throttle very gradually and shift at 4k rpm no matter how fast I’m trying to accelerate because it misfires dramatically at lower rpm’s under any load.

Given the number of things I’ve checked, I’m extraordinarily perplexed as to how this could continue to happen, and need to sort it out before I need to drive it ~500 miles to college in mid august.

The newest update is that over the last few days as I continue to try to sort out the misfire, it threw a p700 and p1718 code on my scanner, which are both trans related communication codes. This morning I go out and attempt to diagnose it, but once the codes were cleared those codes would not return even after various attempts to replicate what I did yesterday. However seemingly at random a U0073 code was thrown, then I cleared it and it will not return, and that’s another CAN communication error, which is linked to a potential ECU failure.

All this to say, is it possible my ECU is failing which is causing all the gremlins I’ve been facing?

Any and all advice would be appreciated, as a broke college kid I’m trying not to take it into the shop, so ideas as to what the primary cause of the misfires could be would be very useful, and I have additional info I can provide in the comments, just ask.

And the model is a mystery?
Find a service manual to fit your model.
Perform a compression test.
Measure the ignition coil harness back to the Engine controller with a multi-meter.
Check the CAN connections between the ECM, TCM and BIU.
Use an oscilloscope to measure the ignition coil trigger and secondary output.
Or go old school and use a multi-meter to measure the harness and ignition coils.

p700 is supposed to be 5 digits, therefore P0700 is correct.

P0700 is a fault (DTC) pointing towards a Transmission Control System Malfunction.

P1718 - SUBARU Automatic Transmission CAN Communication Circuit
Possibilities:
Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness is open or shorted
Transmission Control Module (TCM) circuit poor electrical connection

U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus “A” Off

Possibilities:
problems with one or more control modules
A data / messages network problem
A circuit / connection problem, such as damaged wiring or a poor connection

BTW, control modules don't "throw codes", control modules record fault codes.

You're welcome.

Attachments

• 2010 Impreza.png
    2010 Impreza.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question