Factory window tint

Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Impreza in another state and registered it in New York. When I went to get it inspected, though, the mechanic immediately said that the after-market window tinting was illegal in NY and would have to be removed.

I was able to remove the sheets of tinting, but now I see that the side windows beneath also appear to be tinted, albeit not as dark. Is there any way to tell how dark the factory tinting is? Could it be that all my windows are illegal in NY? Would I have to replace them entirely just to pass inspection? It appears the state law was passed in 2017, after this car was made. Would Subaru have rolled something off the assembly line that was illegal in this state?

Frustrated.

Remove the tinting and have it tested again. OEM tinting is allowed and the technician "tint meter" will indicate if the glass passes.

Thanks. The rear windows just look darker than all the other cars on the street ... wouldn't be a problem apparently if it was classified as an SUV.

Ask a Question