Retain factory Reverse camera

Reaction score
Hi there,

Firstly apologies if this has been posted addressed many times, happy to be directed to the relevant thread if need be?

Firstly, I live in Australia and have a 2011 XT Premium (not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere) but it has the factory Kenwood sat nav see link (this is exactly what i have)

Output device Gadget Communication Device Font Rectangle

Font Line Parallel Screenshot Slope

. I've been told this this plug works AutoChimp Reverse Camera Adapter for Subaru | 8 Pin Camera Plug Subaru | Retain Reverse Camera for Subaru | Universal for All Stereos

But i'm also told that i'd need a 12v6v reducer also. Further, I only want the reverse camera to activated when in reverse so i need to tap into the reverse trigger wire. My question is, is there an easier way to do this without running a wire to the rear brake light? If there is no other way, i might as well just buy a new reverse camera which i really don't want to do as i'm not keen on doing. I'm just working my way through so many forums and vids but haven't found anything with my specific requirements i.e head unit, adapter shown above and where to tap into reverse trigger. If anyone has experience with this that they could share, that would incredibly helpful and appreciated. I am by no means proficient in wiring and electronics but managed to installed my head unit now the basics. If you have any pictures of which wire and what it looks like after you tap into the reverse trigger, that would be excellent. Or if you have something like this plug and have successfully hooked it up and tapped into reverse trigger, even better

Thanks in advance

2011 Forester XT Premium
You failed to mention if it is a Manual or Automatic Transmission.
Reading the supplied schematics [MT] = Manual Transmission [AT] = Automatic Transmission
The Backup Lights schematic offers both versions of transmissions.
The manual has a mechanical switch, the automatic comes with an "inhibitor" or safety neutral (P R N D).
Using "Backup lights.pdf" - follow the fuse upper left corner and choose either MT or AT.
With the Key ON and in Reverse, 12V power will flow to the Navigation and Audio units
The 12V power will also feed both back up lights in the transmission in the reverse position.

The 12V to 6V reducer will step down the voltage because 12V will damage the camera.
The reducer is all called a 12V to 6V voltage regulator.

Schematic "With or W_O Navigation.pdf" will match the pin connections from the 12V power source to the Navigation and Audio units.

Where ever you accessed the voltage regulator, their schematics should be connected to the wiring harness of the camera and located near the Navigation unit.

Follow their included instructions and note the correct wiring and voltage input for the camera.

A primary test should have been followed before components replacement to ensure the correct voltage input to the camera.

Attachments

• Backup lights.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 6
  • With or W_O Navigation.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question