Engine temp warning light flashing intermittently

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have an ongoing issue with my 2012 Subaru Forester that I’m hoping I can find some ideas to resolve. To give context, I’m an expat in Bali where temps reach mid-30s C daily. Here goes…

About two months ago, the engine temp warning light began flashing red while driving. In conjunction, it felt like the AC compressor would turn off (can I assume this is a related safety mechanism?). I had the radiator cleaned and coolant flushed and refilled. I did use the green stuff (not Subaru blue) since that’s the only type available here.

A few days ago, the pesky temp light began flashing again within 10-15 mins of driving from a cold start in evening temps (sub-30deg C). The coolant is still full (no leaks), and no milky residue or sweet smell coming from the tailpipes that would otherwise indicate a leaking head gasket. I also noticed the warning light doesn’t flash when idling, only driving, which I thought was odd since the vehicle would run hotter when not moving.

Fans are on, car drives as normal otherwise. I have parked it since until I can find a clear resolution.

I have an appointment to take her in to get it scanned for error codes via OBDII later this week. There are no Subaru dealerships or mechanics here, so I’m hoping you folks can help me diagnose!

Wrong coolant? - I didn’t think that could have such an impact since it’s been maybe 500 miles or less of driving since the refill.

Bad temp sensor? We checked the contacts and nothing visibly off. The fans kick on even with the AC off.

Leaking head gasket? - again, nothing indicating as such eg., smell, visual, SOTP drivability. No coolant leak either.

Ask a Question