Engine swap ej25 from 00 outback to 06 impreza

Reaction score
What'd I do wrong here? My 06 impreza ej25 died, found a good motor from a 00 outback. Swapped intakes from my ej25 to the donor engine and put it in. Now can't get it to start. Have 5 connectors I can't plug in 2 in front of drivers side head and 3 on rear of passenger head. I know I'm missing something. Please help.

I was able to plug in one of the three on the driver side and none of the three on the passenger side

On drivers side head the plugs should be oil temperature switch, oil switch solenoid, oil pressure sensor and the camshaft sensor. The passenger side has the same except the camshaft sensor. If the camshaft sensor isn't plugged in it was will not read the ring on the camshaft pulley and it won't start.

Thanks. I believe that's the one that's plugged in as both the 2000 and 2006 ej25 blocks share the same cam sensor switch. Anything different about the cam gears by chance maybe the magnet and timing mark on the back of the gear?

A scan tool will indicate what circuit is open, shorted or defective for engine electronics.
Engine electronics don't "throw" faults. Engine electronics record fault codes.
Start there because you don't know the condition of the 00 outback replacement, if and when it starts.
And .........
06 impreza - what trim level.
00 outback - what trim level.
Figure that out and get the matching schematics and connector locations.
You're welcome.

Thanks ill start there. I drove the 00 outback next to the impreza so I know the engine runs well. The impreza is an outback sport and as far as I know the 00 outback is just that an outback.

Found this on a forester forum. Anyone dealt with this before?

[IMG alt="link1896"]https://www.subaruforester.org/d1/avatars/s/9/9282.jpg?1563883309[/IMG]
link1896 · #15 · Mar 28, 2014

I have done all of the above except change the left cam pulley. Will this cause the car to still not start?
Left hand, USA drivers side cam pulley is used for camshaft position sensing. There are a few different designs depending on model/year, you MUST use the original cam pulley for your computer to work

Too many pieces missing.
Supply the VIN for both vehicles.
The link does not work.

Ok so I am under the assumption that you pulled the motor out of both vehicles and swapped them. Installed the intake from the 06 on to the 00 motor? You didn't touch the timing? Didn't replace the head gaskets or take the heads off? If you just swapped the motors out and didn't touch anything else then go back and check all your connections, and your ground wires. Especially check the 2 ground wires that go on the front of that intake. if you did touch the timing belt. Then that's a whole new mess. Timing could be off.

Out of curiosity what happened to the 06 motor. Why did it go? Did it still run when you replaced it. Reason I ask is the original problem could still be there if it didn't run. Could have computer problem.

Hooking up a scanner will tell you if the cam or crank sensor is getting signal needed to start. It would throw a code for those. If you didn't connect a ground wire you would get many codes. If it hasn't started it isn't going to give much more information.

Ask a Question