Engine Production Problem

Reaction score
I bought a 2022 Subaru Legacy Limited, which was delivered to me in mid August 2021. I was very happy with the car until 10/31. On that day, I could hear a tap-tap noise coming from the engine while driving at low speed. I have heard this sound before, but only from cars with at least 50,000 to 60,000 miles or more. However, my car had only been driven about 600 miles.

I brought my car to the Subaru dealer on Monday, 11/1. After the service department looked at the problem, they told me that they did not know the cause. They said that they will be working remotely with a Subaru engineer on 11/2 to diagnose the problem.

On 11/2, I was told that they ran diagnostic tests at the direction of the Subaru engineer and still had no idea what the cause of the problem is. The service department told me that a field engineer from Subaru of America would arrive on 11/3 to look at my car.

On 11/3, the Subaru engineer examined my car and identified the problem as a production problem involving the engine. The engineer said that he had seen the problem before, but in only a few cars. Currently, Subaru is holding on to my car and will work with the engineer again beginning on 11/4 to determine how to fix the problem. The engineer said that the car should not be driven because this could cause damage to the engine. The service department doesn't know how long the car will be tied up, but said that it could be anywhere from a day to three months. Thankfully, a loaner car is being provided while my car is being assessed and, hopefully, repaired.

Is anyone in the forum familiar with such a problem? Thanks.

Ask a Question