2023 Forester Premium engine high idle at start

Reaction score
Hi. New to this forum. I searched for and found some opinions/facts about high engine rev's at cold start-up, but would be good to see it in writing. Such as from Subaru in their owners manual for example. I've searched my huge manual and didn't find anything. So far this winter my 2.5 liter seems to go right to 1,800 rpm's for a long minute, then drops to 1,500. I'm not sure for how long because I've pulled out of my garage by then and I'm off. Yes, I know about the blue engine temp light. So, anyone know of any Subaru documentation on this? Thanks. Mike

There is no Subaru documentation. This is common knowledge with all engines (gasoline / petrol or diesel) when the ambient and or engine / transmission temperatures are cold. The colder the temperature, the longer the "cold running status" is active.
The Engine Controller Firmware is designed to maintain engine drivability and shorten engine "warm-up time".
That will include Engine and Transmission temperatures. The firmware will also include higher transmission shift points.
This is not an opinion, it is a matter of fact.

Hi Cat 5, your high idle at start up is to distribute the oil throughout the engine as well as warm it up. There should be a blue icon on your dash when this is happening. In essence Subaru wants that light to go out until you start to drive the car. It gives all the galleys bearings and oil points an opportunity to get lubed up before you put a strain on the engine, this includes your transmission oil as well. Regarding the written documentation I have not read the manual but our Subie Service Rep told us the day we picked up the car as well as MR Subaru. Here is a link to Mr Subaru if you would like to validate that :
My best advice on the boxer engines, Top Tier gas, wait for the blue light to go out.
Regarding the written documentation, it really should be in the owners manual as there is a light for it

Last edited:
Hi Cat 5, your high idle at start up is to distribute the oil throughout the engine as well as warm it up. There should be a blue icon on your dash when this is happening. In essence Subaru wants that light to go out until you start to drive the car. It gives all the galleys bearings and oil points an opportunity to get lubed up before you put a strain on the engine, this includes your transmission oil as well. Regarding the written documentation I have not read the manual but our Subie Service Rep told us the day we picked up the car as well as MR Subaru. Here is a link to Mr Subaru if you would like to validate that :
My best advice on the boxer engines, Top Tier gas, wait for the blue light to go out.
Regarding the written documentation, it really should be in the owners manual as there is a light for it
Hey Billy, Thanks for the input and the video. While I was new to this forum, I'm not new to ICE vehicles. I've had many, new and used, and I hope to have many more. The concept of warming up an ICE vehicle before putting a load on it is probably familiar to many of us. It's the 1,800 rpm's on my Forester for a very long minute that I wasn't used to. I still don't like it. Not saying I'm smarter than Subaru, just was wondering why it couldn't be a lower rpm for warm up. Btw, the video does not address the 1,800 rpm, just the thinking behind ICE warm up.

Ask a Question