Cracked?

Reaction score
Okay, went to change my oil this weekend and noticed that the filter was FILTHY. And then I noticed this.

Looking at it, the only thing I can think of is that the bolt was way over-tightened and it actually cracked that piece and broke out that chunk. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 130225963_217268279848139_7208347434866178290_n.jpg
    130225963_217268279848139_7208347434866178290_n.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 99
Hey Tonka!
That's just a retaining bolt for your timing belt cover. Unrelated to the oil or the filter, and shouldn't be too troublesome on its own.

Concerning the excess oil on/around the filter-
Was it that dirty the last time you changed the oil, or have you been in dirtier roads or terrain than your last oil change cycle?
Make sure the old filter's gasket didn't stick to the surface; that's double-gasketing, and will cause an oil leak.
Pull that filter off and clean up the area; once you're done with the oil change make sure there's no excess on the outside and drive it around a little bit, then check it again for leaks. Weekly checks after that. Seems most likely that it could have been loose or there was just an improper seal between the filter and the housing.

If it still leaks, and not from the filter or its seat, you may have a leak from the oil pan, OR filter housing. My Subaru Dealership in Anchorage, AK quoted me about $400 in total for a replacement housing on my Baja, but that's also AK prices + dealership prices.

If you weren't low on oil when you changed it, I wouldn't worry about getting it done right away. But do keep an eye on it, if the leak is of the latter case! ;)

Ask a Question