95 trans swap.

Reaction score
I am a complete noob and was hoping you could answer a question. I have looked all over for with NO luck. Some say yes, some say no and I'm losing my mind reading over the same posts with no luck.

I have a 95 Legacy L that is FWD and has over 200k miles on it. I found a donor 95 Legacy with 56k miles on it but trans is AWD. I have already purchased the motor to replace mine and just keep my fwd trans (which slips now and needs rebuilt) but then got to thinking.... can I plug and play the AWD trans out of the donor ( take both engine and trans out of donor)? I have no interest in a full conversion. I just want the newer transmission.

Can I just leave the driveshaft off and it be there if I do get a wild hair and decide to go AWD later? Or is it possible to take the tail piece off the awd and put the one from the 2wd?

I have also found a 94 legacy 4EAT rebuilt fwd with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty but I was told that the 94 Will not work in my 95 fwd legacy by the rebuilder and I cannot find answers on why. 94 OBD1 and 95 OBD2 a possible reason? If so, how hard to make it work.

If I can't find a direct plug from a 95, what can I look for that can just drop in? 96-97? My transmission code shows as TA102AAAAA-C6.

Thanks so much in advance yall.

Just signed up to this forum. I'm interested in your situation. I have a fwd trans from a manual 92 legacy 2.2L and am looking for a more modern 2.5L non turbo for mid engine use. Hard to find anything on the fwd. I don't have an answer for your question but hungry for responses.

Ask a Question