49500 mile 07 Impreza 2.5i timing belt

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Impreza 2.5i sedan with low miles. I did an inspection on the car and everything looks great. All fluids were replaced within the last 15k miles. The car is under the 105k miles to replace the timing belt per milage recommendation but 7+ years over the recommended time to change the belt based on age. I took the timing cover off to inspect the belt and it looks and feels like new. There is no rubber dust on any of the pulleys indicating wear. The belt also has crisp clear white lettering on it showing no signs of wear at all. I didn't bother to see if it was OEM or after market but I will tomorrow. My questions is would you replace the belt if it was original and in this condition? I'd honestly rather be safe than sorry but if I could be cheap I'd like to save the cash. I also have some service records and non of them say timing belt replaced. Thanks
PXL_20231008_003226279.MP.jpg
PXL_20231008_003212684.MP.jpg
PXL_20231008_003240655.MP.jpg

I can't tell you to change it or not. There's the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. It is really up to you. Usually when you do the timing belt on those motors you change the water pump and thermostat at the same time. So if the belt is original the pump is probably original. If the belt breaks it can cause more damage than you want. (Such as bent valves) I have the same car (mine is sport model as it has spoiler and fog lights) I bought from dealer in 2012 with 52k on it. I changed the timing belt at 100k, 150k and now at 210k. I am currently doing the head gaskets for a second time. I hope this helps with your decision. I believe the gates kit (which as a mechanic I recommend) is like $150-$200. Comes with gears tensioner. I want to say you can do the job for about $300.

Ask a Question